The Thyroid Gland: A Brief Overview
- 1 The Thyroid Gland: A Brief Overview
- 2 Thyroid Medications: What are they?
- 3 Thyroid Armour vs Synthroid: Pros and Cons
- 4 Which Thyroid Medication is Better in 2023?
- 5 The Bottom Line
The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the neck, just below the Adam’s apple. It is responsible for producing hormones that regulate metabolism, body temperature, and energy levels. When the thyroid gland is not functioning properly, it can cause a range of health problems, including hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.
Thyroid Medications: What are they?
Thyroid medications are used to treat hypothyroidism, a condition in which the thyroid gland is not producing enough hormones. The two most commonly prescribed thyroid medications are Thyroid Armour and Synthroid. Both medications contain the same active ingredient, which is a synthetic version of the thyroid hormone called levothyroxine. However, there are some key differences between the two medications.
Thyroid Armour: What is it?
Thyroid Armour is a brand name for a type of thyroid medication that is made from desiccated thyroid gland. This means that the medication contains dried and powdered pig thyroid gland, which contains both T3 and T4 hormones. The idea behind using desiccated thyroid gland is that it contains a more natural balance of hormones than synthetic medications like Synthroid.
Synthroid: What is it?
Synthroid is a brand name for a type of thyroid medication that contains synthetic levothyroxine. Unlike Thyroid Armour, Synthroid only contains T4 hormone, which means that the body has to convert it into T3 hormone before it can be used. Synthroid is the most commonly prescribed thyroid medication in the United States.
Thyroid Armour vs Synthroid: Pros and Cons
Both Thyroid Armour and Synthroid have their pros and cons. Here are some of the key differences between the two medications:
Thyroid Armour Pros:
- Contains both T3 and T4 hormones, which may be beneficial for some patients
- May be more natural than synthetic medications
- Some patients report feeling better on Thyroid Armour than Synthroid
Thyroid Armour Cons:
- May not be as consistent in terms of dosage as synthetic medications
- May be more expensive than synthetic medications
- May not be covered by insurance
- Consistent dosage
- Most commonly prescribed thyroid medication
- Usually covered by insurance
- Only contains T4 hormone
- May not work as well for some patients
- Some patients report experiencing side effects on Synthroid
Which Thyroid Medication is Better in 2023?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The choice between Thyroid Armour and Synthroid depends on the individual patient’s needs and preferences. Some patients may do better on Thyroid Armour, while others may prefer Synthroid. It is important to work with a healthcare provider to find the right thyroid medication for you.
The Bottom Line
Thyroid medications are an important part of treating hypothyroidism. Both Thyroid Armour and Synthroid can be effective treatments, but they have their pros and cons. Talk to your healthcare provider to find out which medication is right for you.